Tuesday, April 23, 2013

How to Find Free Patterns

So if you didn't know the little turquoise "B" to the right of my blog is a link to my Burdastyle profile. If you love to sew clothing this is a great website to meet others with the same passion.  Today I want to discuss one of the great things Burdastyle.com offers: FREE PATTERNS (yes FREE..just click the free box when searching for patterns)


This is the first dress I have made using a free Burdstyle pattern.  It's the lace-strapless-dress. Ayelet over at The Graceful Rose has a great tutorial on how to use a PDF pattern.  Follow this link: here.

 Here's a really quick blurb about what changes I made to the dress.
I used the medium pattern.  Not knowing if the dress would be too small I used a 1/4" seam. I added a cute collar, boning at each seam, and turned it into a halter. After adding a zipper I realized the bodice is a little big at the bust (fits pretty good at the waist). I will had to go back and tighten at the zipper (as the collar is preventing me from tightening anywhere else without lots of seam ripping).

Lesson learned: make a muslin first and then use that as your new pattern.

I styled it with a 3/4 arm-length sweater from Target, cute wide white belt, and flats (not seen in this photo).

Now go try your hand at a pattern.

1 comment: