Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pin-up Photo Shoot - Part 1

For the past few months I have been sewing 40's pin-up style clothing.  Why you ask, so I could model for a pin-up photo shoot...of coarse!  It just so happened my mom would be in town all the way from Florida and we could do this together. 

The wonderful and talented Shiree Collier would do our hair and make-up. She is amazing.  You can follow her on Facebook.  If you're not on Facebook, here is her website.

There is only one person I would trust to take my photo and make me look like a real model, Christine Moody from Trimood Photography.  Follow her on Facebook (you won't be disappointed).  I have worked with her on several photo shoots as well as my own family photo session.  She is absolutely one of the best out there.

Now for all the clothing fun.  In Part 1 I am only discussing what patterns I used.  Part 2 will have behind the scenes and Part 3 will have photos of my modeling debut.

First up was a pair of super short and high waisted sailor shorts.  I made several different shorts from various patterns (and modified patterns) and only one was exactly what I was looking for.  I am very long waisted.  To get the true high waisted effect I should have added 2" to the inseam (I didn't have time to remake, but the look was still cute).  The actual pattern on Burdastyle was for pants.  The only modifications I had to make were to shorten and take in to make super tight.  I used a blind hem.


To go with the shorts I wanted a perfectly fitted bustier top.  Through Craftsy I found this bombshell  dress.  I splurged and bought the class which comes with the pattern.  Gretchen, the lady that teaches the class, was easy to follow and great at explaining new techniques.  The class was set-up with lots of segments and places to write notes and ask questions.  I only made the top.  But I did not hem the bottom or add the lining and boning.  Therefore, I could easily add the skirt from the pattern and have a totally different look.


My mom wore a dress I already had from my sister's drag queen baby shower.  I made this dress using Butterick B6582.  I pretty much followed the pattern exactly.  I did have to take it in a good 3-4".  I created a cute belt with a bow.  To get that full skirt I wore a tea-length petticoat.


As for my fitted wiggle dress I wanted something like this Bettie Page Clothing Dress.  I found a simple dress pattern that I could sew a white facing into and just have the zipper start lower on my back and leave the flap open.  I used New Look 6123 View C without the flutter sleeve.  Since I used a matte jersey I was able to make the dress skin tight.  I added a matching simple flat belt to cover the waist seam.

 <SOURCE>

My third and final look was the most difficult yet.  I made a vintage style swimsuit.  This pattern is from Burdastyle.  I added 3 inches to the torso length, fully lined, swimsuit bra cups, and faux skirt on the front.  I crisscrossed the straps and attached them at the bust line.  

  <SOURCE>

Next week I will have all the behind the scenes photos and all the work that goes into a pin-up photo shoot in Pin-up Photo Shoot - Part 2. Wanna see the final product and all the fabrics I used, you will have to wait for Pin-up Photo Shoot - Part 3.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment